The basics: What are you looking for?
With the purpose of this post, when we refer to suppliers, we’re referring to any individual who has the capacity to give you products and inventory. This envelops manufacturers, wholesalers and distributors. There are huge amount of supportive assets online which you can discover on Google. But, before you start, there are a couple of things you should know and choose.
Initially, you should figure out what sort of supplier you’re looking for. This will help decide the wording you have to use in your research. Look at our post on Make, Manufacturer, Wholesale, or Dropship to enable you to begin. There are several options, the most common being:
- A manufacturer to produce your own product idea.
- A supplier (who may also be a manufacturer), wholesaler or distributor to purchase already-existing brands and products.
- A dropshipperto supply products and fulfill orders of already-existing brands and products.
Domestic vs. overseas suppliers
When looking for suppliers if you intend to manufacture or wholesale, you’ll have to choose whether you need to source domestically or from overseas. Overseas can refer to any location abroad.
Regularly, and with the end goal of this post, overseas suppliers are located in Asian nations like China, India and Taiwan. That is on the grounds that it’s often less expensive to source your products overseas, particularly in these nations. But there’s significantly more to the choice than simply the forthright speculation and cost per unit.
Both domestic and overseas sourcing have their points of interest and drawbacks:
- Higher manufacturing quality and labor standards.
- Easier communication with no language barrier.
- Marketing appeal of being made in North America.
- Easier to verify reputable manufacturers.
- Faster shipping time.
- High intellectual property right protection.
- Greater payment security and recour
- Higher manufacturing costs.
- Less product choice (there are many items that just aren’t made in North America anymore).
- Lower manufacturing costs.
- High number of manufacturers to choose from.
- One-stop services like Alibabahave made it easy to navigate suppliers.
- Lower perceived quality from customers.
- (Usually) lower manufacturing and labor standards.
- Little intellectual property protection.
- Language, communication and time zone barriers can be difficult to navigate.
- Difficult/costly to verify manufacturer and visit on-site.
- Longer shipping time.
- Cultural differences in business practices.
- Product importation and customs clearance.
- Less payment security and recourse.
Where to begin your search for a manufacturer
Since you have a superior thought of precisely what you’re looking for, just as the points of interest and disadvantages of domestic versus overseas sourcing, where do you start your search? Normally, the web is the best place to begin, but there are a couple of spots specifically that can help with your search:
Probably the best sources are free online supplier directories. These directories contain profiles for hundreds or thousands of manufacturers, wholesalers and suppliers. Below, we’ve recorded a couple of the most popular ones for both domestic and overseas suppliers:
Online domestic directories
Online overseas directories
In the course of the last bunch of years, we’ve turned out to be acclimated with having the able to easily search Google and find what we’re looking for in first few search results. However, numerous suppliers haven’t kept pace with the internet or Google’s algorithm changes. Their websites are typically old, meager on data and not search engine optimized.
So how would you discover suppliers on Google? For possibly the first run through ever, you’ll have to investigate page two of Google search results and past. You’ll likewise need to utilize an assortment of search terms. For example, words like wholesale, wholesaler and distributor might be utilized conversely, so you should search for every one of them.
It may help to make yourself familiar with Google’s search shortcuts to improve the quality of your searches, thus the results.
You may likewise need to think about making a beeline for your nearby library. Numerous libraries pay monthly subscription expenses for online business and manufacturer indexes that you ordinarily wouldn’t approach, or you’d need to pay for. These directories contain profiles for some manufacturers, wholesalers and distributors depending on the exact directory.
Call your local library ahead and inquire as to whether they approach these sorts of private directories. For bigger libraries, you may need to visit with the business and technology department.
Some of the best leads can emerge out of referrals. Try not to be reluctant to ask associations in your professional systems if they have any recommendations, or if they know somebody who may. Search for people who’ve discovered accomplishment in an area you’d like to seek after and check whether they’re willing to share their contacts.
Social networks have made it much less demanding to get the word out so make a point to utilize these channels. Join Facebook groups and other online networks of web based business entrepreneurs and check whether anybody there has a glowing review.
As you do reveal suppliers, regardless of whether they aren’t an ideal choice for you, make certain to inquire as to whether they can point you the correct way. Being in the business implies they’ll likely have incredible contacts and would be glad to refer you to an alternative that may be a superior fit.